If we are not careful, our teeth can break down over time due to time, the foods we eat, a lack of appropriate oral hygiene, and various other causes. The various dental operations required to correct these disorders can be time-consuming and costly. Fortunately, there are many things you can do at home to help avoid dental difficulties and help your smile’s beauty. At Paso Robles Dental Care, we have some dental hygiene tips that will save you money in the long term. We encourage you to read on to discover more about each of these topics! If you have any questions, come to our Paso Robles, California office.
A Bi-Yearly Dental Hygiene Visit to the Dentist’s Office
You should always make sure you are up to date on your bi-annual dental visits. One of our professionals will perform a simple dental cleaning to ensure that your teeth remain healthy and resilient. If there are any problems, the dentist can detect them early and assist you in resolving them as quickly as possible. We work with everyone to make your twice-a-year visit affordable because we care about your smile just as much as you do.
When you come in for your bi-annual dental hygiene appointment, you can expect an oral exam, a professional cleaning, and x-rays at least once a year. Cavities, gum disease, decay, misalignment, and overcrowding are all checked for during an oral exam. If everything appears to be in order and healthy, we will proceed with the dental cleaning. With a scaler, the hygienist will scrape any plaque off the surface of your teeth. They will also remove any plaque hiding in the corners of your teeth. Plaque removal is necessary for good oral hygiene; it will build up and create cavities if you do not remove the plaque.
After removing all plaque, a professional will use a high-powered polishing brush to deep clean your teeth. The brush will thoroughly clean your teeth’ enamel and make them feel brand new. The hygienist will also clean your teeth and give you a fluoride treatment. Fluoride is a white substance that protects your teeth from cavities.
At-Home Dental Solutions
While your dental checkups are essential, you can still do so much at home to keep your teeth healthy.
- Make sure you use an electric toothbrush or replace your regular toothbrush every two months. Changing out your toothbrush is to ensure that the bristles do not weaken. It is important to brush at least twice a day for two minutes.
- Make sure you floss at least once a day to remove excess plaque from your mouth.
- Be sure to use mouthwash once a day to kill extra bacteria in your mouth.
- Avoid extremely sugary foods and drinks, as they will quickly lead to cavities.
- Avoid opening packaging with your teeth or tearing tape with your teeth. You never know when that simple action could lead to a broken or chipped tooth.
- Drink plenty of water; it is so good for your teeth and your overall health.
- Avoid heavily staining and damaging substances such as tobacco and alcohol.
We want every one of our patients at Paso Robles Dental Care to have a healthy, robust smile. The more you can do to prevent invasive and costly procedures, the better off you’ll be. Please give us a call or stop by our office in Paso Robles, California, if you have any questions about what you can do at home.